By Brad Tank | November 30, 2018

Why Get Homeowners Insurance?

Shannon Turbyfill: Hello, my name is Shannon Turbyfill with the Brad Tank Agency. And I often get asked the question why do you need homeowner’s insurance? Typically, you need homeowner’s insurance if you’re financing your home. Homeowner’s insurance guards your lender’s investment from loss or damage caused by a covered peril, like fire or vandalism.
Homeowner’s insurance safeguards your home and unattached structures on your property from a multitude of hazards, such as fire, lightning, wind, hail, theft, et cetera. Whether a small portion of your property is damaged, or your entire house is leveled, the coverage on your average home owner’s policy steps in to help pay for repairs and replacements so you’re not left footing the bill.
Homeowner’s insurance covers your personal belongings as well. If your stuff is stolen or damaged by a covered peril, homeowner’s insurance may reimburse you for the value of those items, such as furniture, electronics, clothing, and more. Homeowner’s insurance also protects your personal belongings away from your home. For example, if you have your laptop stolen from your car, this would be covered under your homeowner’s policy, and not your automobile policy. It would be subject to your policy deductible on the homeowner’s insurance.
Homeowner’s insurance does more than just cover the structure and contents of your home. Family liability insurance, which comes standard on your homeowner’s policy, is designed to cover you in the event of a lawsuit arising from an injury on your property. Thankfully, homeowner’s liability coverage extends to accidents away from the home, for example, a golfing incident out on the fairway will help cover legal and medical fees, and even lost wages, if the injured person is out of work for a little while.
Homeowner’s insurance includes temporary housing after a disaster. If your home is rendered uninhabitable after say a brutal hail storm or a fire, additional living expense coverage, standard on most homeowner’s insurance policies, will help pay for temporary living costs while your home is being repaired or rebuilt. For example, it would help include interim housing, food, laundry, dry cleaning, et cetera.
Homeowner’s insurance offers peace of mind. With homeowner’s insurance, you can sleep a little sounder at night, knowing that you have a veritable safety net if anything every happens to your largest investment. Additionally, if your home is mostly paid for, you’ve obviously put a lot of hard earned cash into it at that point. If something ever happens to your home, home owner’s insurance is there to make sure you don’t lose any of that hard sought value you’ve diligently earned over the years.
So, give me a call today for a free no obligation quote, and see how the Brad Tank Agency can help you. Our number is 256-757-6100. And don’t forget to ask for Shannon Turbyfill. Thank you and take care.